So I love it when I read other people's blogs and get to know them better, at least find out what has happened in the last few years that we may have lost touch. I realized my blog doesn't do this. Since I pretty much just post random things about Cameron, I thought I'd start doing a little catching up for anyone interested in how I got where I am.
Sorry there won't be any pictures with this post because none of my pictures from this time period are digital and I don't have a scanner, maybe I can add some later.
What happened after high school?
Wes spent the summer rodeo-ing with a family from the Ogden area--the Hannum's. I spent my summer working at the pool and preparing to move to Provo. I really didn't see Wes much that summer and knew we would be seeing a lot less of each other come mid-August. We both moved our separate ways: me to Provo and UVSC, Wes to Texas on a rodeo scholarship. Wes lived with Jake Hannum and Matt Shiozawa. For any of you rodeo-followers they are both ropers who have been very successful making it to the national finals and considered some of the best in the world. During his first semester away he decided to serve a mission and upon finishing the semester came home to prepare. I was having a blast living in Provo with Lara & Christina Maynes. Wes was called to the Brazil, Sao Paulo East mission and left in May. I moved home to save money that summer then started school again. During this time I did a pageant or two...okay 3, (Summit County, Summit County, State Fair) and pretty much whatever else I wanted. (BTW my days at the County Fair are some of my favorite memories of this time period--it was so fun with you Jenny!) I took my education seriously and after transfering to Salt Lake Community finally decided Weber State had an exceptional Elem. Ed. program and transferred there.
Okay, winding this story down...Wes came home and I was still around. To be honest, I didn't purposefully wait for him. We both decided when he left that if I felt inclined to date--I should. It just turned out this way. We got serious pretty quickly. We had been writing each other faithfully for 2 years so it seemed very natural, besides the fact that the first time he was my boyfriend was in the 4th grade, so there was a little history, not like we'd just met. We were engaged a few weeks into June and married about a week into August. My poor mother! A six week engagement is hard on a mother. It was my fault it was so short though. I had invested a large portion of my time into my education and had earned great scholarships, so I pretty much refused to get married during school. Then I said I didn't want to get married during the break around Christmas. Then when Wes said what about next spring, I casually but very seriously said, "I might get married next spring, it just might not be to you." My attitude was, if this is supposed to happen then there's no point in putting it off, and we didn't. So there you have it. Hopefully I'll be better about posting more frequently and doing part 2 before midsummer!
Side note: Whenever I think about Wes right after he returned from his mission I get a big smile on my face. If you haven't ever been very close to someone right after they get home, I really suggest you try to. They are on such a spiritual high. We prayed all the time! Everytime we got in the car or anything. He had such a sparkle in his eyes. (My son's beautiful blue-eyes came from his Dad.) I imagine it is the same with all returned missionaries that worked really hard. They have a true love for everyone around them, a real perspective on life and what they want to accomplish, and a strong desire to serve others all the time. It's very inspiring!
Thursday, March 6, 2008
About Us Part 1
Posted by Jody at 6:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Jody,
What a neat story about you and Wes! And your little boy is adorable!
The tricks I have to share about making your nails long and beautiful really don't work if you have kids!!! I don't know why but my nails grow really fast, I guess it's genetics. There are a couple of tricks though. Use rubber gloves when doing any type of cleaning to keep your nails dry and free from detergents. Use a clear nail hardening polish, I used to do this a couple times a week. I also file my nails alot with a file that is not very abrasive. This seems to make my nails stronger. You can find good files at Sally Beauty. I did have my nails done at a salon once to put a clear hard coating on them.(Around the time we were in Tapesty). It ended up making my finger nails more weak when my nails started to grow and the coating started falling off. So, try and stay away from fake nails and hard coating treatmeants. I hope this helps!
I told Patrice that I had to comment on here because I can't even picture Wes the returned missionary, husband, and dad. I remember one day in wrestling Wade told us that we needed to be more serious in our challenges (for varsity) and treat them like a duel. Wes then went on for about ten minutes asking Wade if we should bring our coolers, invite our parents, lay down on the bleachers, etc. Wade kept responding to his inquiries for about ten minutes before he realized that Wes was making fun of him. I still laugh so hard I cry when I think of that. Anyway, congratulations Wes on how well you turned out.
Allen
Of course I just love Miss Jody and remember her days as a beautiful queen! You were always so enjoyable and pleasant to work with and I was proud to watch you present yourself. Remember the day you were practicing your song in French and I was watching you and go so emotionally involved that you busted out laughing during the middle of the song? I think of that and just laugh myself silly! Your little boy is beautiful--a wonderful combination of both you and Wes. Thanks for sharing your story!
Jody, I LOVED this post. It was fun hearing more details about you and Wes post-high school. I especially thought that part at the end was so sweet. Cameron is so lucky to have such great parents as you guys! And of course, I was very flattered that you thought your memories of us together at during the Miss Summit County days were some of your favorites! I have to admit, I did too! I'm hoping that we end up in Utah next year for part of residency so that we can catch up on the lost time spent together! :)
Love it. Ah, pageants...I recently watched the video from one of those pageants and wanted to burn the evidence. "Hey Pachuco!" with red lycra, black fishnets and sequins...What was I thinking?
I can't wait for part 2...although I have a titch of skepticism about the "I didn't wait for Wes, it just turned out that way..." part. :)
Either way, you guys were meant for each other.
More, please. :)
LOVE it! I keep telling myself that I should maybe divulge (sp??) more info on our blog too, since I love to read about others'. Here's to making a goal!!!
Hi Jody,
It was fun to read your blog and learn more about you guys. Thanks for your comment on our blog. Jarett loves anything electronic. His favorite toys are the phone and the remote!
Great post! Sometimes i think about my journey to where I am today-we lose touch with people so quickly after high school that it is great to hear their stories (even though I knew most of yours being cousins and all). I wish we lived closer so our kids could play together.
Finally! Some answers! I seriously spent the whole time during Stake Conference wondering about you two...yeah, Im guilty- I really wasnt listening!
I agree with Hillary- I think you totally waited for him. And that is so romantic! Your story is the epitome of romance. Sigh.
Post a Comment