CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Race for the Cure

Well, I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures, but my family (Mom, Amber, Amber's friend Kate, along with a cousin and another friend) did the annual 5k Race for the Cure. We have done it for, oh, about 5 years now and it has been such a wonderful experience--rain or heat. This year started pretty cold, but ended up being beautiful for such an event. I take Cameron in his stroller so I can haul everyone's water bottles and jackets. There were 17,000 people participating this year. I saw one survivor being pushed in a wheelchair by her elderly husband across the finish line. There are just not words to describe the emotions this event brings.

We do it in memory of my mom's mother Beverly (Grandma Bevy) who died from breast cancer at the young age of 55. She was such a remarkable woman, that much was clear to me even though I only knew her until I was 8.

1 comments:

The Crazy Wolf Pack said...

Jodi-I know how you feel about the emotions you have overwhelm you at an event like this. There was a lady who had a body brace and leg braces and had to have someone help her walk at the brain injury 5k, but she did it she walked the whole thing and crossed the finish line. There were also people in wheelchairs being pushed. I enjoy doing these kinds of things. I love the natural high you recieve for the gift of service. Besides its the least you can do for the less fortunate. I admire you for your selflessness.